Tuesday, June 28, 2011

While We Wait: Nesting (and other Pregnancy Parallels)

I'm nesting.  Big time.  In fact, I feel like this summer is a time to really get my act together so that I'm completely prepared for what's ahead.  If that's even possible.  I've been reading this great book about making a family mission statement, clearing the clutter out of your home, and spending your time and money better.  "Living holistically with your life's purpose", as the author calls it. 


Sounds nice, doesn't it?  This book has brought up a lot of great conversation between my husband and I.  We've asked ourselves things like: what is our purpose as a family? what would people say about our family as a whole? what would we like them to say in 30 years? when are we at our worst?  when are we at our best? what we could do better? and what is the main purpose of our home? 

It's been good and hard to reflect on these things.  Good because it gets me focused and excited for what's ahead, and hard because I have to admit my downfalls and be reminded that I'm not exactly where I want to be.  I praise God for His patience with me!

I'm hoping that this mission statement does what it's supposed to do and helps us to better stay focused in a world filled with distractions.

I've also ordered one of my favorite child-rearing books and am determined to become more pro-active in my parenting.  Of course, as usual, I'll read as much of it as I can to my husband. :)


Also, I'm eagerly, joyously awaiting a phone call from our adoption agency to let us know that they have our referral.  We could get the call any day now, or it could be another couple of months.  I find myself sometimes running to the phone when it rings during the day.  The last month of my pregnancy with each of our girls was kind of like this--wondering daily if it would be the day that something would happen.  How my heart longs to lay eyes on our little one!

However, this time around, I'm praising God that I don't have morning sickness or swollen ankles.

2 comments:

  1. hey! is tsh the one with the simple mom blog? you recommend the book?
    so glad i checked in today to get the latest. miss ya lots, friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes she is! I highly recommend the book--it's been the theme of our summer and has done amazing things to help us get focused and simplify. Miss you too, my dear!

    ReplyDelete